Breaking or Cracking the LCD on an iPhone is a very common occurence, a costly mistake that usually results in a nice $100.00 repair bill if you don’t have the phone under warranty. But if you aren’t afraid of a little challenge – you can do the job yourself for around $30.00! I’m going to streamline the process for you by including purchase links, video guides and tips – everything you need all in one place.
Before you start tearing your phone apart, there are a few things you will want to have on hand first to make the job easier.
- Screw Organizer Sheet printed out for your model iPhone ( iPhones 4 / iPhone 4s / iPhone 5 )
- Replacement Screen + Tools
- Clean and de-cluttered workspace free from distractions
- Youtube instructional video Below qued up
Before We Begin ( Tips & Tricks )
- I can’t stress enough how important it is to download and print one of the “Screw Organizer Sheets” out linked above, there are many small screws / pieces and without someway of organizing everything you will never be able to put the phone back together again.
- Clean the phone of any glass, glue & debree left over from the broken LCD before replacing with the new one. Failing to do so may result in a poor fit of the new one or a even the new screen breaking during replacement.
- Make sure you have a large space to work on, free of distractions. There are a lot of very tiny screws that are easy to lose if you are distracted. ( working over a white desk or printer paper makes the screws easier to find )
- Important! – When installing the new screen don’t tug on the ribbon to try to make it fit, if it doesn’t reach then you have installed it incorrectly. The ribbon easily folds under itself when installing and will tear if you try to “pull it free”.